Trying to answer some :)
>  1. How long will it take for my hand to stop telling me the front &
> back wheels are awkwardly placed after 4 years carrying a *ist-D?

Yes... bad habits die hard. I switched to K10D fom Z-1p and do feel
myself quite OK.

>  2. Why does it have to be so big? [By the way, the K200D doesn't feel
> significantly smaller in the hand.]

To sit comfortably in photographers (!) hands. I would like to have it
lighter, but definitely not smaller. FDP-style grip strap would also be
great.
>  3. 23M .dng files, yow... maybe .pef would be more tractable?

You may ask from Adobe, why DNG format has to be uncompressed. They may
not answer though...

>  4. Why, when I tried to auto-white balance an ISO-1600 picture of a
> toddler in a bathtub using Lightroom's WB wand to click on the white
> porcelain, did the baby's flesh go all mottled when you look close up?

All those auto-whatever-features are extremely bad idea in complex
lighting conditions. Try RAW and manual conversion settings.
>  5. Why, when I tried to do the same to an ISO-1600 shot of boys
> playing soccer in a yellow gym, did it snap into violent purple?

I would like to see the actual picture.
>  6. Am I going to need to buy a Power Mac to process large numbers of
> photos in Lightroom without making my computer wheeze audibly?

No, just take a longer coffee break and make the music louder.

>  7. Am I going to have to use the software that came with the camera?

Depends. Myself, I do like Photo Laboratory more than Adobe Camera RAW.
Photo Browser is quite useless, but then again - Remote Assistant is SUPER.
>  8. Why is there a prominent switch for turning the image
> stabilization off, wouldn't you want it on always?

No, you need to switch SR off when camera is on tripod or other firm base.
>  9. Why do you want a RAW button, wouldn't most people shoot in RAW
> all the time or JPEG all the time?

Again - depends. Myself, I do not use it at all (I shoot only RAW), but
I know several people who are enjoying it much.
> 10. What do other people put on the "User" setting?

After switching from JPEG-shooting to RAW-shooting, I don't even remember...

> 11. What's the smart way to use the Live View option?

No way.
> 12. Why does the shutter noise have to be so loud?

This is a question to Sony, not to Pentax. Have you ever heard Alpha 100?

> Some of the above are actual questions.  -T

Some of the above are actual answers, too.

BR, Margus