----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Desjardins"
Subject: Re: DA* 16-58/2.8 and the flat focus problem

> The genie is out of the bottle, as they say.  Even if they take the
> adjustment away, folks will still be testing lenses and sending them
> back.  The real question is if there are enough "testers" who will
> return lenses to offset the huddled masses who won't think to do it.  If
> the economics works, they won't change anything.

They can take the adjustment away with a firmware change, but then that new
firmware would need
to add features that will entice people to update to it, and a pretty valid
reason for deleting
a feature that allows the user to repair a known issue that affects every
camera maker, not just
Pentax.
As an example, I'd like to see a revision that allows turning off NR
completely, but it wouldn't
be enough to make me update if I lost the ability to fine tune the AF.
They would also get lenses returned en masse from people who wanted their
lenses to AF
correctly, swamping their service departments with frivolous warranty issues.
I'd even bet thet
the Yanks would start a class action.

William Robb