Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Scott Loveless wrote:
>
>> Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>>> The biggest thing wrong with the step up plan you use is that lens
>>> hoods are problematic. You should never use a filter without a lens
>>> hood in order to minimize flare. Also, be sure to get multicoating
>> ... However, I've never found a hood to be
>> necessary with a polarizer.  ...
>
> A polarizer is no less, and usually more, prone to flare than a
> single filter because it is a multi-part composite lens accessory.
> Veiling flare can be subtle to see because a polarizer typically
> improves scene contrast by reducing polarized components of specular
> reflections ... but I'm unwilling to sacrifice any contrast. ;-)

For me it's a matter of how I shoot.  The polarizer gets put on the lens
when it will have the most dramatic effect.  I can't ever recall using
one hand-held or with the sun being anywhere close to in the frame.
That said, when the camera's on a tripod it's easy enough to shade the
lens with a hand or hat or umbrella or whatever I have with me.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/