Hello Roman,

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:09:01 +0300, Roman Melihhov wrote:

Note:
I have only been using for for about two weeks :-)

>How catz eye focusing screen works with apertures slower than 4 - 5.6?

Fairly well, but be aware that there are a few variations:

 - regular ones
 - OptiBright enhanced ones
 - split-prism PLUS ones

The one I have has an PLUS enhanced split-prism and it also has
the microprism ring (but no line markings at all to keep it clean :-)

You'll have to read up on their website about the exact differences.

What I understood is that the PLUS treatment is for the split-prism
only, and helps to make that usable with small appertures.

I just did some tests, and allthough you need quite careful
positioning of the eye, it still works at F/16 (with a 200mm lens)

The microprisms still work sort-of, but I find them MUCH less
usable than the split-prism. So when any straight lines are in
the image I tend to use that :-)

> From my earlier experience with non-pentax bodies and AF-screen with
>microprisms it's not so good on apertures 5.6 and slower. In fact - it
>may be useless or disturbing and given that some good DA series lenses I
>own are f/4.0 or f4.0-6.3, I'd rather hear your practical opinion before
>I decide to change my installed K20D AF-screen for katz eye.

I have the DA* lenses mounted most of the time, so that will be F/4 or better,
but just tested with an old FA 28-200mm Pentax, which is F/5.6 at the long end.

That also works just fine, even when forced down to F/16 with the DOF preview.

I agree with Bill Rob that in ANY case it is an improvement
over the standard screen.

I used it last week with the A* 200mm macro and combined
with the superb manual focussing with that lens, the split-prism
is an absolute joy to use ...

Note:
I hardly ever use spot-metering, which is the one area a split-prism
may bite you by influencing the metering system ...

Regards, JvW