My F zoom lenses appear to have a second mark (a green dot) on the aperture
(not there on the primes) which would appear to align with the lower of the
two f settings. My guess would be this is the real f stop for the opposite
and of the range...

e.g. an F 70-210 1:4-1:5.6

Main orange f stop mark is at f4 when the green dot is next to f 5.6. The
orange mark is showing the f stop for 70mm and the green dot is showing it
for 200mm. So it would follow that when the lens is zoomed in between those
two focal lengths that the aperture would be somewhere in-between the two.
Unless I am missing something this *must* be the case...

I would say in order to get f8 you need  use the lens like a prime (at one
or other end of it's zoom range), and set the f8 against the corresponding
mark for whichever end of the range you are using.

Perhaps somebody else has a more definitive answer, as this is certainly
only my best guess.

Regards,