At 14:54 5-12-2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Sid B. wrote:
>
> >I'm looking to replace my Super Tak 20/4.5 lens,  screw mount or k mount
> >would fit my needs. I just can't continue to sacrifice so much of the
> >image as is necessary with the Super Tak (cropping the outer 20%, in order
> >to arrive at a fairly sharp finished image)
> >I've searched the catalogs, and there doesn't seem to be a lens in the
>$200US
> >dollar range that has fairly decent reviews. Are there any lenses that
>bridge
> >the gap between the low priced (and lousy reviews) lenses like the Vivitar
>
> >19/3.something, and the very expensive Pentax, Tamron lenses that are often
> > in the $400 dollar range.
>
>I bought an old Sigma 18-35 manual focus on eBay a while back: Henry's had
>a bunch of them as new "old stock" and was selling them out at around $200.00
>each. It's no match for a good prime or even a current "pro level" zoom
>but it's great for the money if you can find one. It's one of the most fun
>lenses in my bag, actually.

I bought a vivitar series1 19-35 from Henry's on Ebay. I think it was even
cheaper at $160 or so.
I don't think you can knock that for value for money. Okay, it's a bit
fuzzy round the edges wide open but what do you really expect for the price?

Personally, I'd save up for a pentax or a tamron. I've got a tamron sp 17mm
f3.5 and a pentax-m 20mm f4. Paid GBP 250 apiece. Well worth it.

Wendy

---
Wendy & Paul Beard
Ottawa, Canada