Back in June, I reported the following:

>I sent my DA* 16-50 back this spring due to uneven
>sharpness across the frame.  It came back worse than
>when I sent it.  So it's back in Colorado again.
>I'm hoping it comes back in better condition.
>
>Maybe I'm a "second time's the charm" guy....

Here's the latest:

Pentax USA replaced the lens with a different one.  The serial number
appears to correspond to an early batch, so I was a little suspicious.  I
finally got time to do a quick image test (resolution charts on the wall),
and the results look good.  Sharpness looks pretty good wide open and both
sides of the image are very crisp at F8 and F11.

I'm still disappointed that they didn't appear to test the lens before it
went out the door the first time around, but it looks like I got
satisfaction this time.  They even extended the warranty by the amount of
time that the lens was in the shop.

--Mark