Up to you, of course, but Bill's notion about a substrate is mistaken.

According to the Munsell system, colour can be described using values
of hue, saturation and tone. Hue is the 'colour' as we normally use
the term - red, green, yellow, whatever. Saturation is the extent to
which the hue appears faded & dull or rich & vibrant. Tone or value is
the extent to which the hue seems light or dark.

A colour picture becomes monochrome if you remove the hue (and
therefore also the saturation), leaving only the tonal values, which
we normally represent on a grey scale. If you replace the grey with
another single hue (mono chrome) but retain the same tonal values you
still have a monochrome picture. The key property is that only one hue
is used.

Bob