Boris Liberman wrote:

> Here is the deal. Suppose I wrote a piece of software that consists of
> an executable and several DLLs. All of them are eventually loaded to
> the PC memory during program execution. The program execution can last
> for the very long time, though there're going to be short periods when
> the program is not running. Suppose now, that while it was running, I
> have compiled a new version of my program that I want to upload (or
> update) to the location from which it is running. Obviously I cannot
> just copy the files, as Windows will tell me that currently these
> files are in use. Now, here is the question. Is there a program that
> allows me to queue my copy operation(s) so that the same moment the
> files stop being in use, the new version will be copied on top of them
> automatically, without my (human) intervention?

The only way I know of to do something like that is with the Microsoft
Installer (MSI) file APIs.  With them, you can register a file to be
installed at the next boot, before most of the system gets loaded.
That's often the reason for having to reboot after installing an update.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)