Walter Hamler wrote:
> OK, I am not the brightest bulb in the pack. I just found out that
> there is such a thing as Vuescan. Does anyone out there use it and
> will it improve output from flatbed and film scanners?  I have an old
> HP Photosmart S20 and an old Canon 660 flatbed. Both work fine but if
> the new software would be an improvement I'm game to buy it.

Depends on the original software, I suppose. I'd choose VueScan any day
over the  HP software I've tried, but that would mainly be because of
the usability - I'm not sure if the image quality. (I'm talking about
the software bundled with a completely different HP model we have at work.)

That was not very helpful, I guess, but how about this: You should note
that you can download the actual VueScan program free of charge from
http://www.hamrick.com/, and run it, too. You need a registration key,
which you have to pay for, to enable the full file write functionality,
but even without it, you should get images that allow you to judge the
quality of the output from the software - as they are just like the
"proper" images, only special symbols are superimposed at regular
intervals so that most people won't want to use the data for anything
real. These symbols (dollar signs, as far as I remember) should not get
too much in the way when you inspect an image in order to judge the quality.

--
- Toralf