From: "frank theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:38 AM, John Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > Rubik's Cube is a lot easier if you just peel all the stickers off
>> > before you start.
>
> My middle daughter (who just started college fer gawd's sake!) was
> around 2 1/2 or 3 when the Rubik's Cube craze hit our part of the
> world.  We had several of them around the house and we told her that
> the idea was to get each side to be all the same colour.
>
> You see where I'm going here, right?
>
> One afternoon, with great pride, she showed my then-wife and me her
> progress:  she'd manipulated things so that almost two sides were
> completely the same colour.
>
> I worked on one for days and days to get maybe one and a half solid
> sides;  we thought she must be some sort of a genius, a child prodigy,
> ~something~!
>
> We got busy calling Harvard, Yale and Oxford seeking her early
> admission, lining her up on the Tonight Show and Merv Griffin, but
> before any of them got back to us, we spied her (I think it was a day
> later), pulling stickers off and replacing them in the appropriate
> places.  She really wasn't cheating, we just never explained it to
> her.  Hey, she was showing real problem-solving skills, eh?
>
> Oh well, we came back to reality with a thud.
>
> cheers,
> frank

If you know someone who's memorized the formula for solving it, and yes,
it is a formula ... actually several of them you use sequentially ...
here's a fun thing to do.

Pry one corner block loose, rotate it 120 or 240 degrees & pop it back
on. Thoroughly mix the sides & corners and leave it where your patsy can
find it.

Makes 'em completely crazy.