Ok -- I guess I have to emphasise that I'm never gonna get one of the fancy ones -- I jsut didn't know if things had gotten so far beyond , rapidly, than I'd see a couple of years ago that
I could dream --

I was thinking it would be nice to have one pentax digital to submit things to PUG with -- and the little optio
soemone had at GFM in 2005 (think it was Robb) waskinda neat

I sure can't spend more than $150 - I don't care if it is cosmetically nice -- just as long as it works...

I'm thinking ebay, of course, but non of the listings give enough info -- hope someone had one they
didn't want anymore here.

thanks for all the detailed info

ann

P. J. Alling wrote:

Ann, the only "compact" camera with quality comparable to a DSLR presently is the Sigma DP1. Price new about $650. I've never seen one selling used, too new maybe. It has the quality of a DSLR and most of the drawbacks of a compact, according to the reviews I've read. It also uses the Foveon sensor, so it's doubtful that your existing Canon software could even come close to properly decoding the raw data.

ann sanfedele wrote:

Brendon and Paul....

re getting up to the best res...  was just hoping ... :-)

For my own uses I don't need that kind of res - I'd like to be able to shoot at 1600 with one though...

I haven't kept up with any of this stuff so hoped someone could suggest the best bang for a bit of a buck

Thanks for the input

ann

Brendan MacRae wrote:

I don't believe any of them shoot RAW. I think the A40
has the highest resolution number (12MP) but it
doesn't mean much because the sensors in these cameras
are tiny. I doubt you'd be able to do 11" x 17" even
at 300dpi with any consistancy. The newer models do
seem to have slightly better dynamic range than their
older cousins. I have the W60 and it does a much
better job at keeping highlights tamed. The lenses are
also only so-so and all seem prone to abberations to
one degree or another.

It's certainly possible to get great images from the
Optio cameras (at least under heavily controlled
conditions) but I've found after 50,000+ images with
them that they're really best suited for snaps.

-Brendan
--- ann sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

I got a little bit of money for my birthday....  I
very much liked the Optio Bill Robb had at GFM  - I want  a used one
cheap...

Beyond one of you selling it to me...

Do any of these point and shoots shoot raw?

Which has the largest sensor? Can I just hook it up to my computer to load?

Can I use my Canon Zoom browser to load stuff?

Recommendations for one for no more than $150....  ?

I'd like to be able to pull images out of it big
enough for submitting stuff to stock
(their min requirement is 11 x 17 at 300 ppi and at
least 50 mgs)

want something I can carry with me for quick grab
stuff without taking my more expensive gear
every time I go out.

I'm going to B&H on Sunday to buy printer ink and
paper  -  THey have a few listed  but not enough detail

Refurbished is fine

thanks for help

ann

directly above and follow the directions.

-- PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List