Hi Chris,

I've used Elements with the PrimeFilm Scanner and it works just fine.  I do
have to be honest and say that I haven't used Elements too much since I do
have Photoshop but tried it out of curiosity and "acquiring" was just as
smooth as Photoshop.  I believe there is currently a rebate promo going on
right now where you can get $30 back on the purchase making it come out to
$69.

Adobe has a 30 demo you can download:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/demoreg.html

Good luck!