Godfrey, Ken,

Thanks for the tips.  PhotoCD is one of those formats that was meant to be
"standard", but not really "open".   I think that Kodak charged pretty hefty
licensing fees to hardware and software makers to use it.

Funny thing is, I have no real idea whether the original data is 8 bit or 12
or 16 or something else (probably 8?), what kind of profiles are embedded in
it, etc.

Photoshop does open it just fine, and the results look quite good.

Looking back, it's only been 10 years, and I have an almost "orphan" format
to deal with.  Gives one a bit of pause--might Adobe's DNG format be an
orphan in 2019?

--Mark