> Teleconverters, by default, always DEGRADE image quality; never improve
> I'm also beginning to suspect that in some circumstances, my camera
> body may be a limiting factor.

It depends on the light. If you are able to step down to the sweat
spot of the lens/TC combo you will generally get good results, When
you aren't able to step down enough, cropping often are a better
alternative, and in these situations, the body often is the limiting
factor yes.

One more thing. The debate very often is about resolution and contrast
alone. But there are more than that to concider, ie. bokeh and
abrivations. Very often the lens/TC combination suffers from both.

--
MaritimTim