So, I have this really high strung Windows box, and every now and again it does something completely inexplicable.
It's latest is on boot-up, it decides it can't start the video card:

Code 10, device cannot be started

And the card runs in VGA mode.
Sometmes rebooting the computer will solve it, more often than not I have to uninstall the driver and reinstall it.

Now, the specifics:
It is an ASUS motherboard with an ASUS (Nvidea) graphics card, and the problem started immediately after installing Norton antivirus (which I have come to despise).

What I'm thinking is that Norton created a file with the same name as one of the Nvidea driver files and so the wrong file is picked up on boot and causes the card to crash.

I've done some searching for this, and have been in touch with both Asus and Symantec (both of whome blame the other company but won't go farther than that).

Any ideas on how to solve this?
I can't find any files in the system32 directory that look like they might be causing the problem. If I can get the machine to boot, it runs just fine.

Thanks

William Robb