-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Doug Franklin
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 10:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DPI vs. PPI

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:50:24 -0700, aimcompute wrote:

> I have noticed that scanner mfr.'s use the term interchangeably.  For
> instance Minolta lists their scanner resolutions in dpi.

I've always thought of it as "pixels" each have all of the color
vectors (R, G, and B, or C, M, Y, and K, or whatever), whiles "dots"
have only one color vector.  Sort of like the difference in color
scanner sensors and digicam sensors.  The color scanner samples all of
the colors at each pixel while the digicam (generally) only samples one
color at each pixel, then interpolates the other colors.  Printers
generally get described in "dots" while scanners and monitors in
"pixels".

YMMV

TTYL, DougF

the system manager.