The Canon A series used to be a great compromise between features and
price...at a cost, that in this case was its size.
The latest models are smaller that previous A models but have lost some of the
manual controls that they used to have. The A1100 stilll has optical
viewfinder though:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_a1100_is_review/

BTW, I read a very favourable review (5 stars) in the French Magazine CdI of
the Pentax P70. It seems that the image quality is good and the camera is
really small. The drawback is that t has SR based on software post processing,
and this produces a lag between frames when shooting at full resolution. No
optical VF I am afraid.

Regards,
Jaume