Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message ----- From: "frank theriault" <knarftheria...@gmail.com>

Subject: Re: OT: Write-off

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Cotty <cotty...@mac.com> wrote:
On 29/3/09, eactiv...@aol.com, discombobulated, unleashed:

Makes me feel less unprotected by my airbags now.

One of the unfortunate things about Land Rover Defenders and their 50-
year old design is the lack of any airbags.

One of the interesting things is that in the 70,000 miles I have done in
2 years in it, I have learned respect for defensive driving.

Seatbelts protect from more types of crashes than airbags.  In fact
airbags without seatbelts can be quite dangerous (seatbelts help keep
you in place so the bags hit you in the "right place" and don't do
more damage than help).

Personally I think that the advantages of airbags are exaggerated
(especially since they're basically explosive devices that shoot a
plastic shield at your body and high speed) whereas the advantages of
seatbelts have been underplayed.  I would never feel safe i a car
without wearing seatbelts, but I really don't care if my car has
airbags or not.

Think about it:  race cars have seatbelts, not airbags.  There must be
a reason for that...

There is - the ruling bodies insist that occupant restraints are used.

Airbags are a political statement for the jerk that won't use occupant restraints.

cheers,
frank