Larry Colen wrote:
On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:42:33PM +0100, Bob W wrote:
I received some phishing spam on this email address today. I only use it for
PDML and for replies to offlist emails from PDMLers. In the PDML archives
the email addresses are hidden. Ergo, a PDMLer who has contacted me offlist,
or one of their other correspondents, has had their address book raided by
spyware.

There's another possibility. I've had accounts nailed by spam that I
*NEVER* gave out the address to, because they were a three letter
acronym. Spammers will hit all combinations of three letters at a
domain, and it seems that some hit four letters (pdml) as well.

There's at least one more possibility, too. If your email address is in the signature you use on PDML, then it's in the PDML archives, too, and can be scraped from there.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)