Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/godders/052-batteries.jpg
>>> Panasonic L1 + Olympus ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
>>> ISO 800 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60 sec
>>>
>> That's a good one---right up my alley in style and feel.  For
>> pictures like
>> this, I've found that the way the camera produces grain-like noise
>> makes a
>> difference in the quality of the picture.  How do you like the way
>> the G1
>> behaves in this respect?
>
>You probably saw my correction after posting this ... this particular
>photo was made with the L1 rather than the G1.
>
>Both the L1 and G1 produce very nice imaging qualities when pushed to
>high ISO settings, imo.
>
>For instance,
>http://homepage.mac.com/godders/026-distracted.jpg
>was made at ISO 1000 and necessarily underexposed to keep the window
>from blowing into saturation. And
>http://homepage.mac.com/godders/051-tapped.jpg
>was made at ISO 800 in rather odd, very heavily red-yellow arc light,
>and produced rather nice characteristics.
>
>For color,
>http://homepage.mac.com/godders/lk-1020212.jpg was made at ISO 1600 @
>f/1.4 @ 1/5 second ... truly dim circumstances ... and I thought the
>G1 did remarkably well on noise and texture for that high a
>sensitivity in color.
>
>Godfrey

Godfrey,

Thanks for the info.  Due to numerous family commitments, I've been
following the PDML on a shoewhat sporadic basis.  I'm actually very ok with
a little (or even more than a little) sensor noise in many cases.  Crunchy
grain adds a certain immediacy to some images, and a certain texture I like
to others.  It all comes down to what kind of look it has.

Also (I think I already mentioned this when we met at the NorCal meet in
Sacramento), I'm really kicking myself for not buying an L1 with that
awesome Leica lens when I had the chance.  I saw a price from Amazon that
was something like $799....

--Mark