I've been experimenting with digital printing techniques and 6x7
negatives. I always scanned my 35mm negs at 4000 ppi, which yields a 7
x10 with about 550 ppi or an 11 x14 in the neighborhood of 340 ppi. The
files were about 55 meg. (These numbers aren't exact, but they're
ballpark.) The print I submitted to the PDML challenge was a 7 x 10
generated from a file of more than 550 ppi. When I first scanned 6x7
negs, I ran them through at about 2000 ppi, yielding a file of about 100
meg and a moderate increase in ppi as compared to the 35 mm files. I
believe I got around 440 ppi on am 11 x14. These prints were noticeably
better than those of a 340 ppi file. So I figured I'd go all the way,
and I scanned a nice, sharp 6x7 transparency at 4000 ppi. This yielded a
255 megabyte file, which translates to an 11.1 x 14.4 picture at 743
ppi. I then printed that file at 1440 dpi on my Epson 1200 (Just as I
did for the other files.). It is noticeably better than the 440 ppi 11 x
14 print. Extremely sharp and photographic. Of course the 255 meg file
is a bear to work with, but it may well be worth the effort.
Paul Stenquist