Actually, I got the date wrong: it's around 1985ish. Fay Weldon did the screenplay and Elizabeth Garvie plays Elizabeth and David Rintoul plays Mr. Darcy. This version is more like a video drama really. I like it because it really lets Austen's dialogue shine; in my view anyway.

Also, if you liked Emma Thompson's version of Sense and Sensibility, I recommend reading her published diary of the making of the movie. Very fun read. Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Francis" <jo...@panix.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:53 PM
Subject: Re: GFM--One

1985, according to the BBC Jane Austen DVD box set; 1980, according to IMDB.
Who are you going to believe? I suppose I could put one of the DVDs in the
player and see what the copyright date is.

Personally I think the 1995 version (with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy) is
better - Susannah Harker is excellent as as Jane, while Benjamin Whitrow
(as Mr. Bennet), Alison Steadman (as Mrs. Bennet) and Barbara Leigh-Hunt
(as Lady Catherine) offer strong supporting characters.  But the best
performance in a minor role is David Bamber as the oleaginous Mr Collins.