The faster the optical system (or F-stop) the more pronounced the coma can
be.
Kent Gittings

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Bruce Dayton
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 6:40 PM
To: Ed Mathews
Subject: Re: 77 specular bokeh talk (again!)

Ed,

It's certainly very visible.  This is an area where the FA*85 beats
the 77 in my opinion.  It produces nice, round highlights.  I have
thought long and hard about getting the 77 and seeing this makes me
want to just keep and use my FA*85 (already paid for).  I would be
curious to know if this is consistent from sample to sample or is
there some variance.  Any other 77 owners noticed the highlights to be
like Ed's sample here?

Bruce Dayton

EM> Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.....  A week
EM> or so ago there was some limited <g> discussion about the Nikon 105,
EM> it's bokeh, and the 77 bokeh.  I mentioned that the 77 yields nice
EM> bokeh, with some football (American football) shaped highlights.  Nobody
EM> commented about that, and probably nobody understood what I meant.  So I
EM> thought I'd take a picture of my Christmas tree lights out of focus to
EM> show you.

EM> This is background bokeh, with the brightest lights about 7 feet away,
EM> and the lens focused to about 3 feet.  In this shot, the lens is at
EM> F2.8.  In other shots I took at smaller apertures, the highlights of
EM> course get smaller, and the football shapes start to get more round.

EM> It appears to me that the shape becomes more oblong closer to the edge,
EM> and that they kind of look like they circle around the center axis.
EM> Tell me what you think.

EM> http://lightandsilver.com/Temp/77.htm

EM> Thanks,
EM> Ed