Igor Roshchin wrote:
I am choosing between Core Duo and Intel I7 (Quad Core).
If I go for the latter, I will probably choose something close to this set:
I7 2.66 or 3 GHz ASUS P6T motherboard, Otherwise:
Intel Core 2 Duo system: ASUS P5Q SE, E8400 or E8500 CPU

This is what I chose, I mean the E8400 and some motherboard by Gigabyte. I've 8GB memory on board and disks are in external Linux box with direct gigabit connection between the two. The disks are RAID-1 (mirror). Under WinXP Pro 64bit I've no stability problems and the speed of the system is absolutely adequate for K-7 files processing in LR 2.4. Also, I've turned off the Windows swap file, using only RAM.

So that you don't have to shoot for the best of the best of the best, and you can still get good results.

One thing though, the CPU fan that came with E8400 sucked big time. The CPU would hit 90+C temperatures routinely running LR. Thus I bought a 3rd party fan (by ThermalTake, but I am not sure as to its precise model, which I can look up) and voila - CPU is never hotter than 50C.

Some say that E8400 is very much into overclocking, but so far I haven't had a real need to do it. It works fine as it is.

Boris