From: mike wilson
John Sessoms wrote:

> From: Scott Loveless

>> My money's on Cotty NOT eating his hat.  They'll bring back aperture
>> simulators before we see a full frame SLR from Pentax.
> > > This seems to be an old inside joke on PDML, but I still don't > understand what an aperture simulator is supposed to do. > > Yeah, it simulates the aperture, but to what purpose? > > Can someone explain it in REAL SIMPLE terms? > > For reference, I have the following Pentax cameras to use as examples I > can look at it while I'm reading the explanation if any applies: > > K10D
> *ist-D
> PZ-1P
> LX
> Super Program
> K1000
> Auto-110 Super

It's a mechanical system for setting the aperture so that when you set the number on the aperture ring the lens stays wide open for focusing, only stopping down as you actually take the picture. The simulator part allows the body to set an appropriate shutter speed.

Its absence on the original DSLR (replaced with an [GASP!] electronic system that required a different type of lens) was the cause of much wailing and gnashing of teeth from those who had large collections of lenses built up over many years and who could not put down purchase of new ones as a tax deductible.

There are some who swore they would never buy another body until a full-frame, weather-sealed, apeture simulated one became available.

So, the "aperture simulator" is just that little lever at about the 2:00 position on the K-1000's lens mount that hooks into Pentax-M lens to tell the camera what aperture is selected.