On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 03:35:38PM -0700, Joseph McAllister wrote:
> Speaking of computers, and interfaces, and ergonomics, brings me to a
> question.
>
> How many of you members of this list have screens that limit you to 79
> or 80 characters in width?

I'm afraid that when I ssh into my home system on my treo, the line
length is even less than that.

> I know on my Apple ][ and my original Macintosh Plus, that was the
> screen width. As such, mail programs and word processing software
> defaulted to a 79 column line wrap to prevent the ugliness of having
> sentences disappear off the right hand side of the viewing space.

Or for that matter the number of characters you can get on a line of
typewritten text.

> That was 30 years ago, and I seriously doubt anyone here is still
> constrained by such mechanical bounds.

> In this age of wide screens, large screens, variable text sizes, and
> non-monospaced fonts, I'm curious as to why so many of the URLs I see
> posted are wrapped, for one thing, and not maintained after that wrap
> as a link?
>
> I present that this is a result of settings set once, or by default,
> that impose these limitations without need or reason.
>
> How about we all take a look at what we've got, and free the wrap to
> it's modern equivalent, the window size dictated wrap.

Cue the old saw about how the size of the space shuttle was influenced
by the width of a horses ass.

Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc