From: ann sanfedele
John Sessoms wrote:

> From: ann sanfedele
>
>> Are any of you guys watching Ken Burns's thing on the National >> parks? I'm liking it more and more >> but thought the first show was the weakest and may have put people >> off the series...
>>
>> And relative to that, how many National Parks have you been to? >> Possibly some from the other side of the Pond
>> have more on their list than some of  us who live here...
>>
>> I checked off 40 of the reported 58 though I think there might be >> more that I visited before they were made into parks.
>> (Great Basin, for one)
>

> I'm not watching because I still don't have a TV, and there's not > enough else worth watching for me to buy one. Plus, I already don't > spend enough time actually working on my photography, I don't need > another excuse for not getting busy.
>
> If my count is correct - 39.

ya almost caught me :-) I was tv- less for 20 years - 1960 to 1980 - I'm glad to "meet" someone who is as interested in the Parks as am I.

Except for one year (Aug 2005 - Sep 2006) when I had an old TV someone gave me because the apartment I was living in while going to school had free cable, I've been TV less since 1996.

I watched a little National Geographic Channel, some History Channel and some Discovery Channel then if I had insomnia, but school didn't leave me much free time.

About a week after I moved back into my house from school, I came home and smelled smoke. The TV was doing something even though it wasn't turned on. Out the door it went. I hadn't even watched it - no cable and hadn't had time to pick up a set of rabbit ears for it.

As far as parks are concerned, I'm going on the theory if they're on the nps.gov website, they're parks; whether they're named park, monument, historic site, seashore, parkway or what.

Nps.gov lists it, it's a park for my purposes.

The FAQ for the Blue Ridge Parkway says it's a National Park even if it's called a Parkway.

If you add in National Forests and National Wildlife Refuges it just about doubles my number.

I looked at the list of the 58 "parks" and when they were created and noticed I have been to the two most recently created "parks", and that several parks I visited were apparently not national parks the first time I visited there - Death Valley, Saguaro, Petrified Forest and Congaree.