> Spotmeters are very useful tools, but using them for general photography is
> sort of like using a micrometer to measure yardage.

<g> Good one.

Here's how I meter: first of all, I use a forgiving negative film with a lot
of latitude (I know, I know, technically speaking there is no such thing as
latitude; but, uh, shut up <g>), and that is not particularly sensitive to
development variations, long hold times, heat and humidity, etc., etc.

Second, I use the sensible exposure system that C.K.E. Mees and Loyd [sic]
Jones came up with at Kodak in the 1930s and '40s. Namely:

--Expose enough
--Don't develop too much
--Add extra contrast when needed by changing paper grades

So (to elaborate needlessly), I expose and develop about as needed for a
scene of the maximum contrast I routinely encounter, which is, generally, a
fully sunlit outdoor landscape.

Next, I use a camera with aperture-priority auto exposure. The camera must
also have some sort of AE lock, which might include switching it temporarily
to manual.

For the most part, I let the auto exposure do its thing. That is, I set the
aperture I want, point the camera where I want it pointed, focus it, and
take the picture.

This works, except in cases where it doesn't.

In those cases, I first alter the framing somewhat so the camera's meter
takes in a scene which WOULD meter correctly; then lock that reading in,
recompose, and take the picture.

This takes me a fraction of a second and I usually do it without thinking
about it.

And how do I know what kinds of scenes would fool the meter and how to
correct for it? BECAUSE I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 25 #$%@! YEARS!

<gg>

The result is that for the most part, my contact sheets are perfectly
consistent. And I'd match my prints (within their limitations...considering
it's 35mm Tri-X) against anybody's.

And, yes, I do occasionally muck up (substitute your own "f") and get a
less-than-optimum exposure. Good thing I've also been PRINTING for 25 #$%@!
years, too. <g> I don't muck up very often, though, and usually it's because
I'm testing some scaggy camera that I'm not entirely familiar with.

"Photography is simple: the only complicated thing is keeping it simple"
                                                           --Ken Archer