On Oct 22, 2009, at 12:11 PM, steve harley wrote:

On 2009-10-22 09:42 , P N Stenquist wrote:
My iMac 24 works great with the Epson 2400. The calibrated monitor
(Spyder II) is a perfect match. However, I wouldn't dream of trying to print from my Macbook. While I've calibrated the monitor and it's color accurate, brightness and contrast are too much dependent on the angle of
the screen.

the model line has changed quite a bit in the last year or so; i'm not sure about the MacBook, which is a more minor branch in the family tree now, but the new MacBook Pros, even the 13" which i have, have very good screens -- much more predictable, though not quite pro-editing quality; the biggest downside for color work is the default glossy finish, but the 15 & 17" versions have matte options; you can also plug a second monitor into any new Mac; that's what i do to work with photos

the iMac line was refreshed yesterday; there's now an LED-backlit IPS display on even the low-end (21") model, which suggests it should be excellent for color work

--
I had a look. Very impressive. The top of the line machine now comes with a 27-inch backlit LED monitor, a 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, and 16 megabytes RAM capacity. It sells for $1999 with 4 megabytes of RAM. Perhaps that's not inexpensive in PC terms, but it's a great deal for a Mac.
Paul