Sorry to hear about the SDM failure, but not surprised.

FWIW--

--I am on my third K20D.

--I am on my third DA* 50-135 F2.8.

--I will soon be on my third DA* 16-50 F2.8.

Only one of these was an SDM failure (DA* 50-135 number 2).

In the space of one year, problematic Pentax gear has cost me images taken in Italy, China, and Sweden.

According to Pentax USA these problems are just internet hysteria.

According to the gang at dpreview, these problems do not exist and one is not allowed to discuss them in any event.

I am starting to think about Nikon. It will depend on whether Pentax can send me a DA* 16-50 that is not optically misaligned.

Joe