Ok, so woohoo! I finally got a couple of images uploaded.  These are FULL
resolution, so biiiig files,  but I wanted to put them up as that so that
you can truly see the noise that I am talking about.

#1, shot with FA 50mm f1.7 @ f2.2, 1/125, ISO400, (shot in RAW+, and this is
from the jpg generated by it), no flash, handheld (which is why I chose the
faster shutterspeed).  This entire shot WAS underexposed by about 1.5 stops,
so some noise is expected

 http://www.lovebytes.com.au/galleries/Noise%20example3.jpg

#2, shot with DA* 18-55mm (kit lens) @ f4, 1/25, ISO400, (shot in RAW+, and
this is from the jpg generated by it) no flash, shot on tripod.  There is a
lot of noise in the shadowy  areas of this shot, particularly on the areas
which show the orange wall.

http://www.lovebytes.com.au/galleries/noise%20example.jpg

#3,  shot with FA 50mm f1.7 @ f2.8, 1/40, ISO400, (shot in RAW+, and this is
from the jpg generated by it), no flash, handheld.  I am HAPPY with the
noise in this shot, even in the darker, underexposed areas, it renders quite
nicely, and I don't find it offensive at all ;-)
 http://www.lovebytes.com.au/galleries/Noise%20Example%202.jpg

I am yet to play with the RAW files from these shots and only hope that they
prove to be better!

Love to hear any thoughts or advice you guys can offer!

Tan.