Well, since the story had only 3 short episodes, I decided to finish
it in my own way... The original with contributions from Bob Sullivan
and Derby Chang starts below and the continuation starts at -- Part
II.

Tom C.

There's an image forming in my mind of Regina, a windswept town on the
frozen tundra of Canada, miles from the nearest neighbors.  Rising
from the plains of 1 story homes and shops is a 2 story retail beacon.
 It's the Regina Camera shop.  In the early evening darkness I can
almost see the faces of the customers, bundled against the cold, as
they wind thru the streets toward the brightly lit shop.

Inside the shop, hard at work is a tall, distinguished, balding
gentleman who wears a perpetual smile with a grey mustachio above it.
He is known simply as WR by his friends and foes alike. Foes, perish
the thought! That is, as the French Canadiens who come from all over
to visit would grin and say, "impossible”.  He works hard at keeping
the shop stocked with every kind and brand of photography gear
imaginable.  The shop is a virtual treasure chest, a cornucopia of all
good things photographic, and WR is a true and cherished friend to
all.

As I enter the shop, walking through the lattice-windowed door, a bell
tinkles.  WR is on a stepladder installing a 4 meter high fluorescent
sign in the eastern window, with large red letters running vertically,
which reads "PENTAX".

While the artic gale swirls outside, I browse through the slightly
dusty shelves and glass cabinets. One handsome well-worn leather case
catches my eye. Inside, a weighty talisman of a long-gone era was
nestled. Many brave souls have held this instrument, austere in its
design, well-worn in its black leather and titanium. A barely-hidden
ring falls naturally into place under my left hand, an aperture
control, we used to call it. I laugh at the imitations now. The mirror
sticks, but at the last minute, gives way, revealing on the other side
of the lens, WR, now unsmiling, brandishing a wee dram. "How much?", I
tentatively ask.

-- Part II

A smile again slowly finds it way down WR’s countenance, furrowed
brows relaxing, followed by sparkling eyes, and an upturned mouth. He
clamps his hand down solidly on my shoulder shaking me to the core,
“What would’ya have to drink man? Anyone with your exquisite taste in
the hallowed field of legacy Pentax camera gear is a friend of mine.
Now what d’ya have?”

I notice the professional looking name badge (“WR – Owner/Proprietor
of Regina Camera, LTD”, and underneath it the truism, “IF YOU CAN
PICTURE IT, GOOD THINGS WILL DEVELOP”).

“Really WR, a drink is not necessary.  It would only dull my senses to
this mome…”.  I was cutoff by the sound of two ice cubes dropping into
a short cut-crystal glass from the tongs WR pulled from under the
counter. I then watch as a generous dose of the best Scotch Whiskey
available in Regina is splashed in on top. “Here you go”, WR says
raising his glass, “Good light to ya!”.

Resolved, and feeling a little thirsty myself, I raise my glass to WR
and smile.  “Thanks this is a special moment, eh?”.

With that out of the way I ask again, “How much?” WR looks in the
glass display case and then picks up the camera, turning it as he
searches for some indication of the selling price. His face turns pink
and quickly goes to beat red in a New York second.

“DAMMIT!” “HENRY!” “DAMMIT”, he shouts, his voice echoing through the
entire shop.  “Henry, get in here and get in here NOW”.

A few moments later Henry shuffles quietly in from the accounting
office in the back of the shop.  He is wearing rumpled brown tweed
pants, a blue & white pinstripe shirt, un-tucked in the back, with
elastic armbands above the elbow, and a pocket protector, over top of
which is a plain black vest.  Henry’s a diminutive figure, short and
of slight build with rounded shoulders hunched impotently forward.  He
wears thick black plastic glasses while his short black hair lies
disheveled across his forehead.  If there was a “Woody Allen Look
Alike Contest”, Henry would take first prize.

WR reaches for the neck opening of Henry’s shirt, and grabbing it,
hoists Henry upwards, his unpolished penny loafers dangling a foot
above the floor.  Henry’s eyes are like saucers but they do not meet
those of WR, which more resemble red hot daggers.  Henry remains in
mid-air for several seconds but then finds his feet back on terra
firma, and his shirt collar significantly more comfortable.

 “Henry, please”, WR entreats in a normal tone, “Please make sure that
every item in our counter has an accurate price displayed, either
directly in front of, or on the item itself. If I’ve told you that
once I’ve told you a thousand times, isn’t that right Henry?”  “Yes
WR” whimpered Henry, still averting his eyes. “Then why for Queen’s
sake can’t you do it?” “I don’t know WR”. “Get to it right now,
please”. “Yes WR”.

Henry pulled the pencil from behind his ear and steno pad from under
his arm and began taking a quick inventory of items on display and
their prices, or lack thereof.  He then retreated to the accounting
office to make up price tags.

WR turned to me sheepishly, “I just don’t know what’s with that boy.
If he could just put himself in the customer’s shoes...  Without the
customer, Regina Camera Shop is nothing,  nothing but inanimate, hunks
of metal and glass. It’s the customer that gives a business it’s soul,
it’s vitality, it’s raison d'etre. We’re all customers each and every
day of our lives, same as we’re pedestrians.  When I get behind the
wheel of a car, should I stop caring about or looking out for
pedestrians, and run them over just because I’m the driver, possessing
a powerful engine, with the protection of a steel frame and sheet
metal?  Even if I have the right of way?” I didn’t answer but
certainly understood WR’s point. I would have applauded but one hand
was encumbered with the glass.

“Come on”, he said, “I’ll show you the rest of the shop, and hopefully
Henry will have things priced correctly by the time we make our
rounds”. Well, an hour later, I can say I’m glad I wasn’t a wealthy
man when I walked in, because I surely would be a poor one now, what
with the temptations of what I saw, and the two additional Scotches WR
poured for us both.

We strolled past the used case again and WR casually observed price
tags on all items.  He asked his assistant to come help me as he
tended to the well, I’m embarrassed to use comparisons like this,
beautiful blonde at the custom film processing counter. If Henry
looked like Woody Allen, then this gal looked like Grace Kelly, Jane
Seymour, Raquel Welch, and Elizabeth Hurley all wrapped into one
package.  “May I help you?”, WR asked, as he felt himself tumbling
weightlessly  and helplessly into, through, and beyond, the pupils of
her cool, clear, light-blue eyes. “Yes you may”, she said in sweet,
silky soft voice. “I have several rolls of 120 format Kodak Tri-X 400.
They’re photographs I took of my kitty-cats, Scratch and Sniff”.
Partially coming back to his senses WR, agreed he could have the 16x20
glossies ready by noon tomorrow.

Still thinking about the kitty-cats, WR met me back at the used
counter.  The price on the LX with a brand new 31mm LTD lens was
$1,000 CAD.  ”Should I box it up?”, WR asked, confident of the sale.
“Yes”, I said, “and of course don’t forget it’s mate right next to
it”. WR looked at me, then at the camera, then turning his head
slowly, eyes narrowing, at the display case.  Under the glass was a
second LX and lens, identical to the one I was holding.  In front of
it, was a white piece of paper with writing in crisp black letters, “2
PENTAX LX and FA 31/1.8 LTD lens.  $1000 CAD - Sold as a PAIR”.

I’m glad WR had those two drinks, and the blonde was still in the
store.  Otherwise, I feared what might have happened to poor Henry.

WR stood, dumbfounded and silent, looking up, as if to heaven, with
outstretched arms for what seemed like a minute.  Then the
indefatigable smile once again reappeared.

“Sir, I will honor that price in the display case, as I am an
honorable gentleman.  It’s our mistake and I want to see you back in
here”. “Thank you”, I responded.  “Having heard of you and the
reputation of Regina Camera Shop, I never doubted it”.

“Don’t worry”, said WR, “I have a way of correcting this and of making
sure it will never happen again”.

Curious, I decided to browse the shop and eavesdrop. “Henry, please
come here”.

“Yes, WR?”, Henry mumbled as he approached the used counter.  “Henry
do you see that sign you just put in the case? Well that little
cock-up just cost this shop $1000.  What do you think I should do with
you, Henry?”

“I wouldn’t know WR”.

 “Well I do”, WR said, flashing a toothy grin.  “The refrigerator in
the lunchroom will NO LONGER be stocked with FREE tins of gefilte fish
until you’ve paid off that error!  Is that understood?”

“Yes WR”, said Henry as he started dejectedly back to his office.

As I was heading towards the door, I heard WR sigh to himself, “Henry,
blondes, kitty-cats, gefilte fish, what a day”.

And as I shut the door, I heard the tinkle of two ice cubes, dropping
into a short cut-crystal glass.