> From: Larry Colen
>

> If you just upload a photo costco will crop it so that it fills the
> frame rather than prints all of the photo.
> The way I found to prevent that is to use the print menu and set up
> the page configuration for the right sized paper and let lightroom add
> the requisite borders.

I always put "please don't crop or zoom" in the comments field. That works
at my local Costco. But, as I said in an earlier post, I've got to know the
guys in the photo department and they know what I want. I don't know how
approachable yours would be, but it's worth chatting them up.

If I want the image to be a specific size I put a border on it, using Canvas
Size in Photoshop - I put a bit of white space around it and add a coloured
border to the final size. That way they have to print it just as you send it
to them - but of course it only works with larger prints.

There's an example here (I've also put a thin line round the image picking
out the blue from the dress):
http://www.mitch.myzen.co.uk/20080627IMGP9830-Edit.jpg

This is a cut down version for demo purposes - the original was >4Mb and was
printed on 18"x12".

For mounting I cut a matte to show white space the same width as the
distance of the thin line from the image.

There's a Lightroom plugin called Mogrify which can add borders amongst lots
of other things - worth a look:
http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lr2mogrify.php

> Lightroom print module will write the jpeg files to a directory and
> name all of the files based on that directory. Unfortunately, the
> original filename is lost, so even though costco will print the
> filename on the back, it does little good for tracking down the
> original raw file. Unfortunately lightroom export print won't add the
> borders. I think that you can go and wrestle with the cropping on the
> costco site if you export the files.

In Lightroom Export in "File Naming" you can select "filename" - it saves
the jpeg with the original filename.

Chris