*Disclaimer: If you have any questions or concerns about the flash sync voltage, use a Wein SafeSync or other method of reducing the trigger voltage*

That said, I did a Google for this and these are two answers that came up:

Answer #1--*http://tinyurl.com/yjkav5v (scroll down to an entry by wildlifephotog

*"Pentax is ISO 10330:2002 compliant. That sets a 25 volt standard on the flash voltage."

Answer #2--http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00VZKf?start=20 (scroll down to an entry by Peter Zack)

"I took a couple old flashes to my local authorized Pentax repair shop. He's independent and services all brands. He emphatically said that with Pentax DSLR's the flash trigger circuits in the body are electronic. This is basically a computer <http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00VZKf?start=20#> after all. Old camera bodies from the film era used mechanical contact points.

Those old bodies could handle just about anything. On new bodies, the electrical circuits are designed for certain tolerances and may withstand moderate high trigger voltages for a time but will burn up after awhile. He said that the max trigger voltage should be 30 volts and you should *never * use a flash with more than 20 volt trigger voltage. Pentax flashes are all very low at around 4-6 volts."

BTW, for anyone thinking of studio lights, AlienBees reports the sync voltage for their flash units is 6V.

-p