There's nothing about the CS3 applications that doesn't suit me.
But... the courses I'm teaching are built around the CS4 Adobe apps
and it's becoming increasingly difficult to plan lessons for classes
that use the CS4 interfaces while I'm working with the CS3
interfaces... so, even though it's expensive (even with an academic
discount), I recently ordered the Adobe CS4 "Production Premium"
suite.

I was dreading the install Even before I started. Adobe won't let you
"upgrade" apps - you have to install the new software alongside your
existing versions, transfer plug-ins and Actions and then uninstall
the old versions. Infuriating. But that's how it goes if everything
*works*. Which it didn't.

Error message that says some component installs failed: a list that
includes just about every application in the suite. Multiple tries.
Disabling firewall and anti-virus software. Many re-boots. Manually
uninstalling old versions before installing new ones. A Google search
on the error message I'm getting reveals I'm far from alone. None of
the official or unofficial remedies works. One brilliant suggestion
from Adobe: "Try installing on another computer". Hey Doug! Wanna let
me install my new Adobe software suite on your computer?

Finally, I just let the installation run through to the end, even
though it warned me at the beginning that almost none of the aps would
be installed. Strangely, it goes through all 4 DVD's. And in the end
about half of the apps do install, even though the error message said
they wouldn't. Only Premiere Pro, After Effects and Encore failed. And
I deleted the CS3 versions at the start (and I'm afraid to risk trying
to re-install them at this point). Fortunately, my new laptop is
(barely) powerful to do the limited video editing I need to do at the
moment, and it has the CS3 suite, so I can get by.

I'm thinking all along, "I paid $$$ for this when I probably could
have found a torrent with a crack that would have installed with less
trouble!"

Good news is that the CS4 version of Adobe Bridge seems to be stable
enough to be actually usable (Bridge CS3 caused me no end of trouble).

Other good news is that my laptop has demonstrated that 64-bit Windows
7 looks like a winner, so I'll soon be upgrading my desktop OS. With a
clean install, I'm hoping that the CS4 install works completely if I
install before any of the other software. Yeah, call me a dreamer...