From: frank theriault
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:31 PM, eckinator <eckina...@gmail.com> wrote: <snip>
> I am actually neurologically left handed. I've lived right handed for
> almost 40 years...

Remember, left-handed people are in their right minds.

> They call mine a concealed left handedness. Could
> also mean someone or in fact even I myself by manner of imitation
> trained me into adopted right handedness.

When I started school back in the dark ages, my parents told my grade
one teacher that I was left handed and they did not want her to
"train" me to become right-handed.  Apparently it wasn't uncommon for
teachers to do things like tie kids' left hands behind their backs so
they couldn't use them to write, or to actually punish children for
holding pens and pencils in their left hand.  My teacher told my
parents she believed in letting children write with their preferred
hand.

I can't imagine the torment that poor lefties went through being
forced to write with their right hand.  And later consequences?  Who
knows?

That's really old school. They abandoned that idea some time before the 1950s around here.

Weren't doing it in North Carolina in 1955 when I started ... not that it matters, since I am naturally right handed anyway. They even provided special left-hand desks for the kids who wrote that way.

Hard to imagine any school system more back-woods than Durham, NC in the 50s.