> The question that comes to my mind is this: what's the advantage or
> disadvantage of a greater number of blades, apart from the shape it
> contributes to OOF highlights and the like?  Some newer Leica lenses
> have the most odd-shaped aperture opening, looking more like a six or
> eight pointed star rather than a pentagon, octagon, circle, etc.
> I don't like the OOF image on those lenses - they are star shaped.

Shel,
Lenses with an even number of blades have these "star-shaped" light-points.
The old Nikkor 50/2 I wrote about in the first issue of the newsletter has
six blades and makes points of light into stars. This is why most lenses
have an odd number of aperture blades, so this won't happen.

-- Mike

"Ain't photography grand. The more you know the less you know." (Shel
Belinkoff)

* * *
Find out about Mike Johnston's unique photography newsletter, "The 37th
Frame," at http://www.37thframe.com.