The 3 major camera stores in Chicago are Helix, Calumet Photo, and Central Camera. I was in Central Camera (Wabash Ave) last week looking for the Pentax 540 flash, and they didn't have it. I asked about the K7, and they didn't have any more in stock and stated that they didn't know if they were going to order more. I was in Calumet Photo on Cherry st (Goose Island--Division & Elston) to buy some photo paper and noticed the store doesn't even have pentax stuff in showcases--though I have bought quite a bit of pentax equipment there over the last two years--and the manager, John is really nice. I quite dislike Helix; I find some of the staff rude and arrogant, though if I really needed something, I would give them a try. I don't know what they have been recently carrying in pentax gear.

I mostly shop at Central Camera and Calumet Photo, but I would never say you'd get great Pentax deals at these two shops unless there is some kind of sale, which I don't often see.

Call these stores when you get into town and ask if they carry the 16-50 at the price you're looking for. Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Colen" <l...@red4est.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 4:24 PM
Subject: Chicago questions:

First question:
Are there any camera shops in Chicago that carry a good selection of pentax gear?

I've found the 16-50 locally for $799, which considering its reputation for being decentered may be worth the extra, plus sales tax of getting it mail order. However, if there's a shop in Chicago that has it for a good price, maybe it'd be worthwhile to get it there.

I'd be a bit more confident buying a DA35 mail order, but it'd be nice to see one in person.

Second question:
Would anyone be up to splitting a hotel room? Money not spent on hotel could be spent on camera gear. I've got a friend I can crash with, but she lives way north of downtown and I'd spend way too much time on the train.