Adam Maas wrote:
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rob Studdert wrote:
On 30/04/2010, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

I concur. It's already been demonstrated that almost all the modern (ie
available to buy) Pentax glass vignettes on FF.  I am heavily invested in
modern Pentax glass (DA and DA*; ~$4K replacement value) and I am not
about
to add all new lenses to go along with a FF body upgrade.  Not happening.
Where and by whom? Kenny?
There's a sticky thread at pentaxforums where they maintain the results of
individual tests (including some from Boris Liberman) ...

 http://is.gd/bNPdY

Boris' collection of test shots (some via Derby Chang) here ...

 http://liberman-family.com/boris/da_lenses_on_film.html

There are a few question marks, like the DA* 200, but the majority of lenses
have one problem or another (even hood geometry issues) on FF.

Apparently the DA* 60-250 and possibly the DA* 55 are fine on FF. These
tests were conducted on 35mm film which is larger than present FF sensors,
so some lenses that vignette on film may not do so on an actual FF sensor if
it existed.

FWIW, Ricehigh has his own table here ...

 http://is.gd/bNQgW

and arrives at differing, but similarly pessimistic (but what would you
expect?) results.

-bmw

Bruce, there's no appreciable size difference between 35mm film and FF
sensors. Both are within a tenth or two of a millimeter of the nominal
36x24mm frame size. Certainly there's not enough difference to have
differing geometry. In fact FF sensors are more susceptible to edge
performance issues due to digital sensors having issues with off-axis
light.

Thanks, Adam!

So the upshot is that Pentax has not been pre-accommodating the possibility of a FF body with their DA lenses, in any way.

To summarize, lens-wise, they are now developing two lines: APS-C and 645D (only a single example of that so far). Although they are still manufacturing (?) some legacy FA glass, there is no new development. To market a FF body they'd have to start a _third_ lens product line for FF.

-bmw