----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Walker"
Subject: Re: K-7 replacement?

From what I've seen, the 55/1.4's on the border of the exotic range
price-wise. What I've seen from it looks good, and it's better than
the FA 50 at wide apertures, but I don't think it comes close to
justifying its price over the other options in K mount (all three of
the excellent 3rd party fast ~50-ish lenses are notably cheaper than
the 55/1.4, with similar performance. Pentax is not in a position to
demand a price premium over Zeiss)

But /they/ don't have SDM or the incredibly sexy felt-lined lens hood. :-)

The 55/1.4 has become my default carry lens. I shoot portraits, indoor music gigs, outdoor flowers, in the rain, you name it. LBA never got me a better buzz.

I wonder why one Japanese lens maker is not in a position to demand a premium over a different Japanese lens maker.
The name Zeiss is about as meaningful as Retsyn nowadays.

William Robb