From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of John Sessoms
[jsessoms...@nc.rr.com]
Sent: 02 May 2010 00:29
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: RE: limiter thingee.. [Scanned][Spam score:8%]

From: "Tanya Love"
> I just saw all of the techo talk on the other thread about a recommended
> portrait lens and references to the FA 100m/2.8 macros, which I have, thanks
> to Steve, just been enabled with.
>
> Can someone put all of this stuff into fairygirl speak for me?  Just what
> does that limiter thingee do anyways?

What I understood is:

For a LONG THROW Macro lens like the FA100/2.8, *IF* the auto-focus has
to hunt & goes all the way to infinity and back to closest focus and
then to whatever the subject distance is, it takes a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time
getting there.

A Focus limiter limits the range over which the lens can hunt - instead
of going from closest focus to infinity and beyond, you can "limit" the
range over which it is allowed to hunt for focus - say between 1.5
meters and infinity or such. It can hunt through this limited range much
more quickly than it can through the entire focus range.

Apparently most of the long throw is in the last bit going down to
closest focus.