On 5/4/2010 12:12 PM, paul stenquist wrote:
Financially, store prints are the best deal. But as a photographer, I find
printing to an integral part of the hobby. Mastering the print is the ultimate
challenge, and leaving that to someone else doesn't work for me.
Paul

I feel very similarly, which is why I did very little serious photography for about 20 years. Without access to a darkroom, it wasn't worth the bother and I spent time and money on other hobbies many of which involved fast cars or women, or at least cars I attempted to drive fast.

I have finally learned that my resources are finite. My strategy is to learn each step of the process in turn. I figure that with raw files, I can always go back and reprocess, or reprint the photos that are worth doing so, but until I'm competent with a camera, I won't have any, or at least many, photos that are worth investing the effort.

I hope that in the next year or two that my camera and lighting skills will be to the point that I'll get more improvement from investing time and money into learning post processing than I will practicing taking the pictures. Somewhere around that time, I'll be able to justify much higher printing costs, at least for the best of my photos.

In the mean time, it's fun to get 8x12s of my better shots, and worth dropping $50-100 a month on prints.