On 13/05/2010, P N Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> It's but one of many. There are no hard and fast definitions, no hard and
> fast rules. However, I would say that if a work is both completely devoid of
> any evidence of skill and it fails to invoke any kind of response, then it
> is not art.  Art can include both technical masterpieces and emotional
> concepts. But in the end, it is up to the individual to decide.

I think the artist can call any work they deem to be art, art, whether
the rest of us agree is moot it seems. I see examples of this
regularly but the one that sticks in my mind most is the exhibit that
I stumbled upon in a very well regarded Sydney photographic gallery
space quite a few years back now.

This particular exhibit consisted of  20+ large prints of images of a
CRT TV screen showing daytime soap opera clips. Lots of screen scan
lines, low contrast, often indistinct scenes, nothing otherwise
coherent or interesting but hey it was presented as art. "He who dares
art" I call it.

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours