Regarding photography, these are my problems defining art exclusively
by "intent":

+When I take a photo I always have the intention of creating an image,
the same goes when my grandmother takes a photo. Does this fact
declare as "artists"? If that intention is not good then what
intention/s define art? Art is defined by the intention of making art?

+An artist's father owns a company that cleans dead people's
apartments. Possessions that are not claimed -like photos, in most
cases family snapshots- are selected by the artist with the intention
of communicating the value of certain aesthetic. Most of these photos
where not created with the intention of creating art, they become art
by the view of the artist that is showing them. By this extreme
example you can say that any photo is potentially art, waiting to be
interpreted as that by an artist. Intent needs to exist before the
photo is created or can be found after its creation?

+What about Lartigue? He's the father of vernacular photography, lots
of these photos are the equivalent of today's snapshots, he just
happened to be wealthy enough to have access to technology that wasn't
easily available to the rest. I don't think that when John Szarkowski
found his work he pondered about "intent".

+The same goes with the example of the NY Crime Scene photos that I
posted before.

--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferand/