On 5/23/2010 6:22 AM, Sandy Harris wrote:
I once talked to someone who had been a technician at Acoustic Research,
back when AR speakers carried a lifetime warranty. He said they got one
or two a year that were burned out in a recognisable way, what you get if
you run 110 volt AC into the speaker inputs. They replaced them.

Sandy, once upon a time (seems now like 15 years ago) I bought a pair of Sennheiser Porta Pro's that at the time came with the life time warranty. I used it for several years and then one day I broke the plastic so that one of the ear pieces came apart from the frame. I tried to glue it in place, but plastic was such that no glue that I had helped.

Having forgotten about the lifetime warranty I've put them on some shelf and forgotten about them for couple of years.

One day I recalled that I had a lifetime warranty. At the time their service center was a small, really small, shop in Tel Aviv to which I came. I was willing and ready to pay but I liked the sound of these earphones so I thought I'd give it a try.

The guy took them in and came out with the brand new pair. I asked if I still get my warranty and his reply was - "sure thing!". A happy customer left the shop. I proceeded recommending the company to my friends and using my earphones. Later on I bought some more Sennheiser products, naturally.

One day, few more years later, one of the wires came apart from the ear piece. Bummer. I went to look for their customer service. None existed at the time. Another big company (Samsung or Sansui or whatever) was giving the service. I came in to their local service center. Big, bumming with people. They did not hide their look down at me but they got the earphones fixed for me and free of charge. This time, however, they gave me a piece of paper that indicated that this fix would have a limited in time warranty, something like half a year.

The next time the earphones broke I had to throw them to garbage.

If I were to look for new earphones, I would surely start with Sennheiser - they have really good sound (to my taste) and I kind of have a fond memories of my first Porta Pro's.

Boris