Jerry -
flowers and static subjects are fine :-) what Tom said - only some of us are mortolerant than he is of kitty cats I agree with Jack taht the black wedge is distracting, but since you point out that these blooms grow "pretty much all around" where you are, I'd work on getting a better shot (that is , less busy background) instead of resorting to cloning in photo shop... the blossom is lovely. but isn't that and Ocotillo blossom?
ann

Jerry in Arizona wrote:

These are colorful and grow pretty much all around here in the Sonoran Desert
(Phoenix, AZ).  Took this today in the parking lot of the Heard Museum
(specializes in southwestern and native American art), Phoenix, AZ.

Pentax K20D, SMC Pentax-FA 3.5-4.7, +1 exposure adjustment, circular polarizer.
 Mildly cropped, adjusted in PS4.

I know flowers, and static subjects, are frowned on, but here one is anyway.

Jerry in Arizona

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/gelewis_2010/DesertAloePESO.jpg