2010/6/6 Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com>:
> Hi!
>
> Suppose I've a LR catalog A. Now, it is very big and I want to take
> part of it out and make a separate catalog (suppose it is all my
> family album pictures for sake of example). So I make catalog B that
> contains a subset of pictures from catalog A. I then go and remove
> from A all the pictures that are in B.
>
> Now, is there a way in which I can say to LightRoom something like -
> here is the (soft link) location from which you should consult catalog
> B and have all this knowledge displayed somehow when I open catalog A?
> Effectively I want to divide my pictures to sub-catalogs but I want to
> have a single point of entry to this whole structure.
>
> Any thoughts?

Boris,

My understanding is that you can't have one catalog indexing another.

If you want to reduce the size of the catalog, one way to approach it
is maybe to offload a selection based on certain metadata criteria.
Like, select all images with two stars or less, from more than 3 years
ago, and then export as a catalog. Or you can offload images based on
topic from your keywords, for example; finished series, discrete
projects like "NuttyNorwegiansFeb2005" or similar. Your options will
be limited by the amount of metadata you have applied though. :-)

Dunno what exactly affects performance of LR, but maybe the setting
for retention of 1:1 previews has something to do with it?

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com