2010/6/8 Bob W <p...@web-options.com>:
> the metadata goes in the catalogue, not the picture files. If you use
> sidecar files I believe (but would have to check) that this is in addition
> to the metadata in the catalogue, not a replacement.

Most file types except proprietary raw files support metadata within
the image file. IIRC, you can set Lr to store the metadata in the
catalog, or both in the catalog and the file system. If you choose to
include the file system, you have the option to use sidecar files or
embed the data. If you embed the data in proprietary raw files, you
may screw up the file. If you shoot DNG, you're safe anyway. :-)

My personal opinion is that it's a Good Thing to duplicate the
metadata information between catalog and file system. In case of
losing the catalog or maybe changing archive software in the future, I
will still be able to regenerate most of the relevant information.

Personally I embed everything into the image file itself rather than
using XMP. I like the thought of the file being self-contained with
keywords and all. And I shoot DNG.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/