Latest from Larry and Ecke:
.
.2010/6/17 Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com>:
.>
.>>> 5) When I'm shooting in low light, even if I'm just "playing around", if
my shutter speed is under 1/30 of a second, I really do need to use at least a
monopod.  Even if it looks OK on the camera display, I'm going to lose most of
the shots to camera motion if I hand hold the camera.
.>>
.>> Do you use any kind of conscious breathing technique, i.e. do you
.>> inhale or exhale and then hold, or any concentration practice?
.>
.> Implicitly, if not explicitly.
.
.I guess I just have to learn not to forget my monopod =)
.Cheers
.Ecke
.

Carry a loop of cord in your bag, long enough to step onto one end and pull
lightly at the other to keep the camera at eye level. That is, assuming the
place you're shooting would allow (no crowds, no people moving around fast).
Keep some soft clothing or a neoprene mouse pad ready to shield the camera from
rough surfaces you'll be leaning on. Practice Vipassana Meditation or some Yoga
of your choice. Enjoy while you're young - it's being a long time since I was
able to even try handholding cameras near 1/30 sec...

Of course, do keep the tripod/ monopod/ walking stick nearby...

As for pushing the ISO, I'm almost always at the extremes - the Ds spends more
time at 200 and 3200. Noise Ninja helps.

Luiz Felipe
luiz.felipe at techmit.com.br
http://www.techmit.com.br/luizfelipe